Brown rice is such a common and popular whole grain that we can incorporate into many savoury and sweet dishes! Refer to the post below for more information on whole grains!
This is a quick recipe on how to prepare a bowl of delicious and comforting vegan fried brown rice for lunch or dinner!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
2 tbsps pure olive oil
2 tbsps toasted sesame oil
2-3 tbsps tamari sauce (adjust according to taste's desire)
Tamari is a good replacement for refined soy sauce that is loaded with sugar and salt.
2 tsps ground black pepper
1 tbsp diced red onion
1 tbsp diced garlic
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1/4 cup organic tofu
Tofu should be organic so that you do not get genetically modified soybeans.
1/4 cup swiss/ shitake mushrooms
1 cup veggies of your choice! (We use red bell pepper, chinese nai bai)
1 teaspoon of sesame seeds/pine nuts for that added crunch!
1) Heat olive oil in a pan for 1-2 minutes over medium heat.
2) Add in onions first.
Onions have high water content and therefore needs to 'sweat first'. Onions also help to cool down heat in the pot to prevent oil from smoking.
3) Sizzle the onions till slightly brown, then add in garlic and nuts/seeds. Stir continuously to prevent burning. Garlic and onion should smell lovely and turn golden brown before adding next ingredient.
4) Add in mushrooms and tofu.
You can add in some tamari here as tofu and mushrooms would soak up tamari as a marinate. Your kitchen would smell lovely at this point. Alternatively, you can marinate your tofu and mushrooms, with cilantro in some extra tamari and toasted sesame oil before tossing into the pan.
5) Add in the veggies, cilantro and brown rice. Toss the ingredients evenly.
6) Pour in toasted sesame oil and tamari. Toss evenly again.
7) Serve in a cute Japanese bowl and charm your tummy!
Of course, you could choose to add in an animal protein or eggs of your choice with your brown rice to make it a meal of your choice!
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!
OKSubscriptions powered by Strikingly